“I Have Pride” Black History & Culture Writing Contest
Pride, is one of three core values of The Black Swan Academy. We believe that youth should be proud about who they are and where they come from. This writing contest is meant to provide youth with the opportunity to explore the uniqueness of their own history and culture and reflect on the impact that it has had in their personal lives, as well as, the lives of others.
NOW ACCEPTING SUBMISSIONS!!!
Deadline EXTENDED: February 16, 2018 at 11:59pm
● You must be in the 6th-12th grade
● You must be a resident of the District of Columbia
Why do you have PRIDE? Choose a moment in black history, or a person, place or thing
that makes you proud to be a Black American. Explain why this makes you proud. How
did it impact your life or the lives of others?
Be creative! Submissions can be in the form of an essay, poem, song or monologue.
– Submissions must be at maximum 1000 words.
– You may submit a series of up to 3 poems.
– All submissions must be submitted online by the deadline.
– All submissions must include a completed entry form and release statement.
– All winners will be notified by email of their selection.
– All winners and selected contestants will be invited to present their submission at a
showcase in March (date to be announced).
Submissions will be reviewed in 2 categories:
● 6th-8th grade
● 9th-12th grade
One winner from each category will receive a $500 prize.
Additional awards may be distributed to honorable mentions.
Need Help?! Attend our Writing Workshop.
Saturday, February 10th @ 10:45am
Congratulations to 2017 contest winners:
Ramani Wilson- 10th grade| Benjamin Banneker Academic High School
D’ Mia Jackson- 6th grade| Stuart Hobson Middle School
Sierra Lewter- 11th grade| Benjamin Banneker Academic High School
Mae Osman- 8th grade| School Without Walls