“I Have Pride” Black History & Culture Writing Contest
Pride is one of three core values of The Black Swan Academy. We believe that youth should be proud about who they are and where they come from. This writing contest is meant to provide youth with the opportunity to explore the uniqueness of their own history and culture and reflect on the impact that it has had in their personal lives, as well as, the lives of others.
NOW ACCEPTING SUBMISSIONS!!!
Deadline Extended: March 3, 2019 at 11:59pm
- You must be in the 6th-12th grade
- You must be a resident of the District of Columbia
Why do you have PRIDE? Choose a moment in black history, a person, place or thing that makes you proud to be a Black American. Explain why this makes you proud. How did this impact your life or the lives of others?
Be creative! Submissions can be in the form of an essay, poem, song or monologue.
- Submissions must be at maximum 1000 words.
- You may submit a series of up to 3 poems (must remain under 1000 words total).
- All submissions must be submitted online by February 18, 2019.
- All submissions must include a completed entry form and release statement.
- All winners will be notified by email of their selection.
- All winners and selected contestants will be invited to present their submission at a showcase in March (date to be announced).
- *Submissions will be judged on the following criteria: Relevance, Organization, Clarity, Creativity and Grammar.Awards:Submissions will be reviewed in two categories:
- 6th-8th grade
- 9th-12th grade
Two winners from each category will receive up to a $500 scholarship.
Additional awards may be distributed to honorable mentions.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-909-8624.